Friday 12 October 2012

eBooks vs (actual) Books

I recently found out that my parents plan to buy me a Kindle for Christmas. They know that I love reading and am slowly running out of space to store my huge collection of books so thought that this would solve the problem. At first I thought it was a brilliant idea - I wouldn't have to sit at funny angles and squint so I can read in the evenings. But, the more I think about it, the more I am going off the idea. I am currently reading an eBook that an author has sent me and have been using an iPad to read it, and as good as it is I miss the feel of paper! Sales for Kindles and other eBooks are huge, and I really feel like I am missing something! I do understand that the 'invention' of eBooks has allow so many more authors to get their material out their as it doesn't cost anything to publish your novel on Amazon. A friend of mine has spent the last year taking his book to various different publishers and didn't get anything back from them, so he has taken it upon himself to publish it himself through Amazon, and so far it is doing very well. So I thought I'd do a little poll so that I could see what you lovely people think, maybe you can change my mind :-) Leave your votes in the comment box below... Looking forward to seeing what you all think!

1 comment:

  1. I am a total Kindle convert! I got my first ereader almost two years ago, followed by a Kindle this year - and I haven't bought a paper book since! And I LOVE paper books! Honestly, Gemma, I didn't expect to use it that often - perhaps if an ebook was cheaper than the paperback or something, but I absolutely love it! It's so easy to use, and I've recently started using the free samples that Amazon offer, if you enjoy the sample then it's one click to buy the book instantly! No waiting around for the postman! And my paper book collection is getting well out of hand, having filled up multiple book shelves and cupboards - at least no one can see the amount of books you've got if they're on a Kindle!

    ReplyDelete